Jan 29, 2008

Two Recipes

Hello all! I'd like to share with you two recipes. One is a new recipe to me and I modified it right out of the gate. The other is an old family recipe that has been passed down for... um... lessee here... 6 generations at least.

To start with, the Hogwarts recipe:

Treacle Tart (yep!)

the recipe I modified can be found HERE.

Ingredients: (This tastes kind of like candied lemon.)

1 refrigerated pie crust (1/2 box)
9 TBSP golden cane syrup (I got mine at Cost Plus World Market)
*note: if you don't have cane syrup, you probably could use a light-in-flavor molasses.
9 TBSP plain breadcrumbs
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Use pie crust to line a 9" pie pan. Cut off all the crust above the top of the pan. I ran a knife along the top, parallel to the counter to do this. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Put the syrup in a small saucepan on medium low heat. When the syrup becomes a little more fluid, add the breadcrumbs, lemon rind, 1 TBSP of the lemon juice, and the ginger. Cook for about 5 minutes, just until it's almost bubbly and well mixed. (The cooking step can be ignored, but I found it blended the flavors better) Pour into the pie pan. It won't be very deep.

Use a knife to loosen the edges of the pie crust from the pie pan. Fold the crust over gently, without pushing the crust into the filling or pinching it together. Mine ends up looking like waves of crust. If you want, you can roll out the leftover crust and cut it into strips to make a lattice top. Mine looked kinda stupid.

Bake 25-30 minutes or so. The important thing is the pastry being cooked - the filling will simply follow suit. Let cool a bit and nosh the deliciousness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, for my family recipe. Not one person I've fed this to has ever not liked this.

Paprikasch (sometimes called Hungarian Goulash, but not in THIS family!!!)

4 TBSP bacon grease (you should ALWAYS save your bacon grease!)
Onion the size of an egg, chopped fine

- saute the above until golden

Add:

1 heaping tsp paprika (yeah right... we usually add 2 TBSP or so, laughing all the way)

1 pound cubed veal, young chicken, or beef (we usually do beef, but that's cause we're a beef packing plant family)

1 tsp salt or more to taste (we actually tend to just do a quick sprinkle)

1 quart water

Simmer VERY slowly for 1.5 hours. 45 minutes before serving, add 1 med potato, diced. Five minutes before serving, you may also add the following:

Spoon Dumplings (often called the best part of Paprikasch)

1 c flour
1 egg
enough water to make the dough the consistency of baking powder biscuits.

Drop by scant teaspoon into the paprikasch. COVER and LEAVE IT ALONE for 5 minutes or until the biscuits are floating. (I hope you have a glass lid!)

Enjoy. Oh so very yummy, and now I think I'll have to cook it this week sometime.

As my great grandmother Weinschrott used to say (and I have no clue what it REALLY means)

Ich wunsch, Ich wunsch
Ich wissen nicht vas
Greifen zei sak
Ein gabe fur alles

Cheers!

1 comments:

Emma Gorodok on February 25, 2008 at 2:49 AM said...

sounds good...

I can try to translate what your grandmother said, it is German, but it's not easy because I can't hear it and it is written as you hear it and not accurately:

I wish, I wish,
I don't know what
grab (no clue what this means)
a talent for everything

 

Followers